This vegan corn chowder recipe is creamy, flavorful, and packed with extra vegetables. Perfect for meal prep and comes together quickly.
During my last trip to the grocery store, I grabbed my avocados, potatoes, and a bag of carrots as usual (or so I thought). When I got home and unpacked, I realized the bag of carrots I got was double the typical amount… whoops. Since then I’ve been trying to get creative with my carrot recipes.
This week, I whipped up a corn chowder recipe that is packed with extra vegetables, including my surplus of carrots. As with most of my soup creations, this is perfect for meal prep and can be frozen to save for later. Honestly, though, I usually finish the batch before it has time to make it to the freezer!
With the winter blues knocking on my door, this recipe has been a bright bowl of comfort during the week. I love to enjoy it with a crispy piece of buttered sourdough bread – so delicious!
Vegan Corn Chowder
Before I went vegan, clam chowder was one of my favorite things to eat. This summer I tried Sweet Potato Soul’s vegan corn chowder and was reminded of a similar feeling to when I used to eat clam chowder: creamy, rich, and delicious.
My version of vegan corn chowder was inspired by Jenne’s recipe, but includes a few twists. I had shared this recipe with my mom and she loved it, making multiple batches. One time she asked how she could get a cheesier taste and this recipe was born!
This take on the soup includes nutritional yeast and extra spices, giving the soup a thicker more savory taste. This feels like a winterized version of Jenne’s summery recipe.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!Print
- Yield: 5 1x
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups of frozen corn
- 2 cans of light coconut milk
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1 cup water
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 russet potato, cubed
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cupof nutritional yeast
- Begin by sauteeing the onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat, adding in a splash of water to prevent sticking.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the carrots, celery, potato, corn, cannellini beans, coconut milk, water, and spices (not nutritional yeast or lemon juice).
- Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down to a simmer uncovered. Cook for 20 minutes, or until your potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Add 1/3 of the mixture to a blender with the nutritional yeast and process until smooth. Add it back into the pot.
- Add the lemon juice and stir to combine. Top with green onions, cilantro, or a piece of bread and enjoy!
- Calories: 411
- Fat: 11.6g
- Carbohydrates: 60.3g
- Fiber: 12.4g
- Protein: 14.1g