This easy one-pot vegan chili is perfect for meal prep during the chilly winter months.
The Power of Meal Prep
For me, there’s nothing better than an easy recipe that makes a lot of portions. I love to cook, but sometimes I just can’t be bothered to make anything. Fortunately, this chili recipe is super simple to make and makes six servings.
During this past month, I have challenged myself to do Dry January as well as not dining out. Honestly, there have been some days where it just gets old. I typically order food at least once a week and make sure to have leftovers, but without that, I feel like I’ve spent half my life in the kitchen. I made a big batch of this vegan chili and it’s been a welcome relief to have something already made in the fridge.
Part of the reason I tried these challenges was to save money and get my budget under control. I’ve been following budget food channels on YouTube and was inspired to make this low-budget meal. Beans, potatoes, veggies, and tomatoes are a great way to reduce grocery costs and they are extremely versatile.
Doing batch cooking helps the budget in a variety of ways. This type of meal prep that can be frozen and reheated reduces food waste, which is a big problem for many people. In addition to wasting money, food in the trash is tough on the environment. When scraps or expired foods goes to the landfill, it gets trapped and releases methane. Methane is a greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change even more than CO2.
By preparing food like this vegan chili, you can prevent food waste gasses as well as the obvious impacts of animal agriculture. You can easily eat in a way that is good for your pocketbook, your health, and the environment. I hope you enjoy this recipe!Print
Easy One-Pot Vegan Chili
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/4 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots finely chopped
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 russet potato
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of frozen or canned corn
- 1 tsp chili
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat a large pot on the stove with a splash of water.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 5 minutes
- Add all other ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, add a lid, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally, adding more water if desired.
- Enjoy! Top with vegan sour cream, jalapenos, onions, or any of your other favorite chili toppings.
- Calories: 273
- Fat: .9g
- Carbohydrates: 54.3g
- Protein: 13.4g
Looks yummy! Great pictures!
Thanks so much!