Make this next-level roasted lemon asparagus to bring a fresh zing to your meals.
If you’re looking for a way to consistently elevate your vegetables, keep these considerations in mind:
- Include something acidic (lemon, lime, vinegar)
- Include something from the allium family (garlic, onion, shallot)
- Add some salt
- And most importantly, don’t overcook them!
I bolded that last one because I feel passionate about this common tragedy. One thing I often hear is that eating vegetables is boring and they don’t taste good. Yeah, if you boil the heck out of something until it is limp and an unappealing shade of brown, you’re right it’s not going to taste great.
The best way to prepare vegetables is to cook them just until they still have a bit of crunch left in them. I’m not saying they should still be raw (unless you’re into that), but they should still have structural integrity.
Asparagus is a great example of a gorgeous vegetable that can be ruined by overcooking. You can make these tasty spears shine with this 20-minute recipe. They are roasted in the oven and have lemon, garlic, shallots, and some thyme.
These are great for snacking, adding into a bowl, or make for the perfect side dish. Honestly I almost didn’t have enough to photograph because I couldn’t stop eating them; they really are that good. I have this set as three servings, but I could easily demolish them all in one sitting.
If this seems like too much work for a couple of servings, just double or triple the recipe! My partner reheated the leftovers in the oven for a few minutes and reported back that they were still delicious after being in the fridge.
Increasing servings of vegetables will help keep you full, satiated, and your immune system in tip-top shape. Get cooking!Print
Next-Level Roasted Lemon Asparagus
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 3 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1/2 of a shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small lemon
- 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tbs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp of pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice your shallot and garlic and add it to a medium bowl with the salt, pepper thyme, olive oil, and juice from half of the lemon. Whisk everything together.
- Cut the end of the stems off the asparagus. It should be pretty easy to cut through; we don’t want the tough part.
- Add asparagus to a baking sheet. Pour the mixture over the spears evenly. Slice the rest of the lemon and add it throughout the baking sheet on top of the asparagus.
- Roast for 7 minutes, mix everything around, and put back in the oven for another 8 minutes.
- Serve! Make sure to include the shallots and garlic. Squeeze the lemon slices on top if you like it extra acidic (like me!).
- Calories: 57
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 196mg
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g
Keywords: asparagus, vegan, healthy
I just made this yummy asparagus last night. I would highly recommend it! Easy enough for weeknight prep…delicious enough for weekend entertaining!