You know what’s worse than not having a vegan option for desserts? Bad vegan desserts. It gives us a bad rap! Fortunately for you, you won’t have that problem with these incredible chocolate chip cookies.
I love giving these to people without telling them they are vegan, just to see their shocked look after revealing it. I bring these into the office to share, include them as gifts over the holidays, and snack on them year-round when my sweet tooth hits.
Pro Tip: When you’re storing the cookies, add a slice of bread into the container. My grandma used to have a crunchy piece of bread in her cookie tin and I never understood why that would be helpful. I tried this for myself and found it keeps the cookies much more moist (sorry ’bout it) for much longer. Thanks for the tip grandma! ❤️Print
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 oz vegan chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (organic to be vegan)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk (I use almond)
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil
- Optional (but recommended): 1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt for topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start by melting your coconut oil on the stove or microwave. This happens quickly so keep an eye on it.
- In a medium bowl, mix wet ingredients (brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, plant milk, melted coconut oil).
- In a separate large bowl, mix dry ingredients minus the chocolate chips (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt).
- Slowly add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry components until fully combined. Add in chocolate chips and fold them into the batter.
- Line a baking sheet with a reusable silicone mat and place rounded tablespoon rolled balls of dough on the sheet, leaving a couple inches between the cookies.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top of each ball (this might sound strange but the sweet and salty brings the cookies to the next level).
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until the tops start to crack. They will look and feel undercooked, but that’s what we want foor gooey, chewy cookies.
- Let them set for 3-5 minutes and then move to a cooling rack with a spatula.
Try not to use the same cookie sheet between batches if possible. If the pan is still hot, the cookies will spread.
When storing the cookies, keep them in an air-tight container with a slice of bread. This keeps them fresh for longer!
If you want these to be oil-free, melt 1/2 cup of coconut butter and 1 tbs of maple syrup. They turn out more on the cakey side, but when I shared them with coworkers they went back for seconds which is my standard for success 🙂
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 12g
- Sodium: 53mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0g
Keywords: cookies, vegan, chocolate